Your CDS e-mail can be retrieved using a mail client and the IMAP protocol. At the present time, we do not provide a web interface to your CDS mail.
Accessing e-mail using IMAP
To read e-mail using Apple Mail, follow these instructions (other mail clients are similar):
- Open Mail (click it on the Dock or open it from the Applications folder).
- If the "Welcome to Mail" assistant does not appear, choose Add Account from the File menu.
- Fill in the Full Name, Email address, and Password fields. Use your CDS e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your IMSS password.
- Deselect "Automatically set up account" if it is enabled. Click Continue to proceed.
- Choose the Account Type "IMAP".
- Give your account a useful description, such as "Anne's CDS account" or just "CDS". It can be called whatever you want.
- Enter your Incoming Mail Server, User Name and Password. For the mail server, use 'imap.cds.caltech.edu' and your IMSS username and password. Click Continue to proceed.
- Set up the Outgoing Mail Server. Enter "CDS" for the description, 'smtp.cds.caltech.edu' for the Outgoing Mail Server and check the Use Authentication Box. # # Select "Use Authentication" and enter your IMSS User Name and Password. Click Continue to proceed.
- Verify your settings in the Account Summary. Check "Take account online". Click "Create" to complete the process.
Forwarding your mail
To forward your e-mail to another computer, create a file in your home directory named '.forward' and put the e-mail address where you would like your mail forwarded.