CDS 101/110 - Introduction to Feedback and Control
See current course homepage to find most recent page available.
The goal of this lecture is to introduce some of the basic ideas in feedback systems and provide examples that will allow students to identify and recognize control systems in their everyday world. Two major principles of control--robustness through feedback and design of dynamics--are emphasized throughout the lecture. CDS 101/110 course administration is also covered.
Control has many applications in engineering systems. This lecture gives an overview of some of those applications and talks about future research directions in control, dynamics and systems. Additional details about CDS 110 and other CDS courses are also given.
Friday: MATLAB Tutorial
This lecture provides an introduction to MATLAB, a software program that will be used extensively throughout the course and on the homework assignments. CDS 110 students who have not used MATLAB in previous courses are strongly encouraged to attend.
|Monday||Wednesday (CDS 110)||Friday|
- K. J. Åström and R. M. Murray,, Preprint, 2007..
This homework set is designed to provide some examples and intuition about feedback and control systems. The first problem problem is a conceptual problem designed to provide examples of feedback and control systems in the everyday world. The second problem involves using MATLAB to explore the performance of a engineering feedback system by manually tuning gains and evaluating the resulting performance. The advanced problems (CDS 110 only) further explore these concepts through articles in the popular press about control systems and additional MATLAB/SIMULINK examples.
- SIMULINK speed control module (for problem #2): cruise_simple.mdl,
- Officials mandate anti-rolloever rule, Detroit News, April 2007 (problem #3)
- Can you make the graphics bigger so that we can see them?
- How do I create a FAQ for CDS 101/110?
- I did not understand robustness
- Is control a type of negative feedback?
- Is it possible to take CDS 110b without taking CDS 110a?
- Is there room for learning in control systems theory?
- Latency wasn't mentioned in the example; does it affect robustness?
- Should we bring our computers with Matlab installed to the review Friday?
- Where can I get a more detailed description of how the flyball governor works?
- Why does instability imply poor performance?