SFC undergraduate education committee meeting 2006-11-29
Present: 4 UGs, 4 faculty. Chair = Christine
- Undergrads met on 2 Nov; Christine handed out notes
Seminars for better teaching
- Discussion of how to get faculty to participate
- Problem we are trying to solve: uneven teaching
- Perhaps set something up for new faculty (assistant professors)
- Use scantron forms? Publish the results
- GPS binds together TQFRs and hands out to all of the faculty
- Perhaps when you drop a course, you should have to fill out a questionnaire (why did you drop)
- Finding a way to provide feedback is very useful, but need to be careful that comments reflect teaching and not just the difficulty of the course
- Is there a forum where faculty get together to talk about teaching?
- Could we create some sort of forum for interdivisional meetings?
- Who reads faculty evaluations and how does feedback happen?
Problems to solve
- Communication between professors and TAS - TAs don't know what the professors want
- Class web sites are useful; would like to see more of these
- Lecturing style
- legibility of the writing; can't tell what they wrote
- projection; speaking to the room instead of to an individual or the blackboard
- Materials out of data - sets were ignoring some new technology
- Possibly survey ombuds next term to see what people are doing and what works
- Midterm survey in courses that we (people on the committee) are involved with
- Could we create more meetings between students and faculty?
- Some students never meet with their advisors; except to get drop cards signed
- Some people take classes and then realize that it wasn't the right collection; nobody along the way who can provide advice
- Online course registration is convenient, but it cuts down on advisor/advisee communication
- More faculty/study interaction