Supplement: Networked Sensing, Estimation and Control Systems
Vijay Gupta (Notre Dame), Richard M. Murray (Caltech), Ling Shi (HKUST) and Bruno Sinopoli (CMU)
The area of "Networked Control Systems" has emerged over the past decade as a subdiscipline in control theory in which the flow of information in a system takes place across a network. Unlike traditional control systems, where computation and communications are usually ignored, the approaches that have been developed networked control systems explicitly take into account various aspects of the channels that interconnect different parts of the overall system and the nature of the distributed computation that follows from this structure. This leads to a new set of tools and techniques for analysis and design of networked control systems that builds on the rich frameworks of communication theory, computer science and control theory.
Note: These notes are in draft form and may contain errors. Permission is granted to download and print a copy for individual use, but this material may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without written consent from the author.
- 11 Jan 2010: updated version of Ch 2 (estimation) and front/back matter
- 23 Dec 2009: updated supplement main page to a new format
- 30 Jun 2008: updated header text and outline to reflect latest thoughts on content
- 10 Mar 2008: initial page creation
- CDS 270-4: Estimation and Control over Wireless Sensor Networks, Spring 2008 (Ling Shi)
- EECI short course on networked control systems, Spring 2008
- CDS special topics course on networked control systems, Spring 2006
Courses taught by others:
- FEL3400: Networked Control Systems @ KTH, Fall 2007 (Magnus Egerstedt)
- ME 225FB: Cooperative Control of Robotic Networks @ UC Santa Barbara, Fall 2007 (Francesco Bullo)
- ESE 680: Distributed Dynamical Systems @ Penn, Spring 2007 (Ali Jadbabaie)
- ENGG 199: Networked Systems @ Dartmoth, Spring 2007 (Reza Olfati-Saber)
- CDS 270: Coordination of multi-vehicle systems @ Caltech, Fall 2002 (Reza Olfati-Saber)
Other books on networked control systems:
- Bullo, Cortes, Martinez: Distributed Control of Robotic Networks: A Mathematical Approach to Motion Coordination Algorithms. Princeton, 2009.
- Mesbahi and Egerstedt: Graph theoretic methods for multi-agent coordination. Princeton, 2010.
- Olfati-Saber: Networked Multi-Agent Systems: Distributed Algorithms for Coordination and Information Fusion
- D. Hristu-Varsakelis and W. S. Levine (Ed.): Handbook of Networked and Embedded Control Systems, 2005. ISBN 0-8176-3239-5
- F.-Y. Wang and D. Liu (Eds): Networked Control Systems: Theory and Applications, 2008.
- Matveev and Savkin, Estimation and Control over Communication Networks
- Edited volume by Wireless Network Based Control, Sudip K. Mazumder (ed)